1/4 Photos of Baigan Choka (Roasted Eggplant (Aubergine)
A robust flavoured Trinidadian side dish or vegetarian spread for flatbreads. I don't usually add pepper to this as I think the flavour is intense enough. If not using a non- stick pan increase the oil to 2 tablespoons.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash eggplant and make slits in it with a knife.
- 2Peel garlic cloves and stick into the slits made in the eggplant.
- 3Insert tomato wedges into the slits.
- 4Rub the eggplant with a teaspoon of oil.
- 5Roast over an open flame (for example, a gas cooker) until soft. Do not grill because the taste will not be the same. The open flame imparts a smokey flavour which gives this dish it's signature flavour.
- 6To make roasting more manageable. I usually cut the eggplant in half making sure that the garlic is wedged deep inside so that it doesn't fall out. I use a long cooking fork to turn the melongene and make sure it roasts evenly on all sides.
- 7When eggplant is soft, slit the charred skin lengthways with a knife and scrape out the soft somewhat stringy pulp. Discard skin.
- 8Mash the pulp, tomato,and roasted garlic in a bowl with a fork or pop it into your blender if you want a nice smooth texture.
- 9Add 1 tsp oil to a non-stick frying pan and cook 1/4 cup onion until fragrant but not translucent. (You want them to still have some crunch to them but not quite the sharp raw onion taste.) This is a personal preference some people prefer the raw onions.
- 10Add the barely cooked finely chopped onion, salt to taste, and scotch bonnet pepper to the eggplant pulp.
- 11Typically enjoyed as a side with curried meats and rice or in Sada Roti (Indian flatbread ).
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baigan Choka (Roasted Eggplant (Aubergine)
Serving Size: 1 (183 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 66.9
- Calories from Fat 23
- Total Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 5.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 1.9 g