Recipe by Rita~
I found this on line. Changed a little bit. Enjoy this spicy, Indian vegetarian eggplant curry dish over rice or with Indian bread.
Top Review by FlemishMinx
I liked this but my husband was not so keen. He thought the coriander leaves were overpowering, and I would suggest even for those who love them (and I imagine anyone making this recipe probably does) to begin perhaps with only half a cup; you can always add more to suit your taste if you so desire. Thanks for posting !
- 3 1⁄2 lbs eggplants (aubergines)
- 3 tablespoons ghee or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed (Jeera)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 (12 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3 green chilies (chopped)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- red chili powder, and
- 1⁄2 cup peas, cooked (optional)
- 1 cup cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Prick a few holes and place on hot grill.
- Keep turning until charred and soft inside.
- Collect the pulp.
- Discard the skin.
- Chop roughly.
- Heat Ghee or oil, add cumin seeds.
- Add onions and fry till golden.
- Add ginger and garlic.
- Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, chillies, red chili powder, garam masala and salt.
- Continue cooking 10 minutes on low flame until tomatoes are soft.
- Add the eggplant pulp.
- Stir and cook for 5 minutes.
- Toss in peas and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve with roti, naan, phulka, chapathi or paratha a flat bread.