1/2 Photos of Bahraini Sweet Rice (Muhammar)
Wonderful, aromatic and flavourful! The best Muhammar I have made and I have tried a number! Very important to use a cast iron pan or heavy pan and lots of butter to form the crust part properly, this makes it way more flavourful as well. This is very good served with Gulf Arabian fish or shrimp dishes as it is traditional. Modified from a recipe found on http://desertcandy.blogspot.com. A great example this rice goes with is Fish in Persian Sweet-And-Sour Sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup basmati rice, rinsed in cold water
- 1/4 cup date molasses (date syrup, dibs tamar in Arabic, found in Middle Eastern shops)
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron, ground (I use a mortar and pestle. Iranian saffron is definitely superior in taste and colour)
- 1/4 tablespoon cardamom, freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon rose water (I prefer Iranian, I find flower waters vary quite a bit in quality)
- sea salt, to taste
- 4 tablespoons butter, a lot is needed to form the sought after crust (or ghee, (or more)
- 1Combine, saffron, freshly ground cardamom and rose water in a small cup.
- 2Bring a large pot of water to a boil with sea salt to taste. Add the rice and boil uncovered for precisely 8 minutes, then drain.
- 3Mix the date molasses with the rice, then mix in the rose water mixture.
- 4Choose a medium sized heavy bottomed pot (I use a cast iron pan, see intro). Melt the butter in it over medium heat. Add 2 spatula-fulls of rice and mix with the butter, patting down to cover the bottom of the dish. Pile the reminder of the rice in a loose cone shape and poke a few holes in the rice with the spoon handle. Sprinkle a few tablespoons of water over the rice, then cover tightly. Place over medium low heat and let cook for 20-25 minutes. Keep a close eye at the end as the rice can burn (use your nose to see if it begins to smell burned).
- 5The easiest way to unmold the rice is to prepare a sinkful of cold water, dip the bottom of the pot in cold water for about 30 seconds, then invert the pot onto a serving platter. If the rice crust does not release fully, simply break up the crunchy pieces that stuck to the pot and scatter over top.
- 6Serve with Fish in Persian Sweet-And-Sour Sauce or a Gulf Arabian fish or shrimp dish.
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bahraini Sweet Rice (Muhammar)
Serving Size: 1 (81 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 447.0
- Calories from Fat 154
- Total Fat 17.2 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 40.7 mg
- Sodium 150.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 16.1 g
- Protein 5.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: