1/1 Photo of Bahraini Sweet Rice (Muhammar)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron thread
- 3 cardamom pods, cracked
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rose water (I prefer the Iranian ones superior)
- 1 1/2 cups white basmati rice
- 5 cups water
- 1/3 cup white sugar, or
- 1/3 cup honey (I like the taste with sugar & honey but you can use all honey or traditional dibs, date molasses)
- 1/4 cup butter or 1/4 cup ghee
- 1In a small bowl or Arabian coffee cup (perfect size) put saffron, rose water and the cardamom.
- 2Wash the white Basmati rice until the water runs clear.
- 3In a large heavy pot boil the water.
- 4Stir in salt and rice and return water to a boil stirring occasionally.
- 5Boil uncovered for 8 minutes.
- 7Melt the butter or ghee in the same pan the rice was cooked. Add the rice back in with sugar and or honey.
- 8Sprinkle the rose water and spices on top of the rice.
- 9Using the end of a wooden spoon, make 3 small holes in the rice.
- 10Cover the pan with a paper towel and place lid tightly on top.
- 11Cook over low heat about 20 minutes, until done. (I personally leave the dish on one of the vents from the oven to my stove which is underneath when the oven is preheated at 325F until serving up to 2 hours later).
- 12Please try this dish with Kuwaiti Curried Chicken (Quwarmah Ala Dajaj) because they go extremely well together.
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bahraini Sweet Rice (Muhammar)
Serving Size: 1 (566 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 678.3
- Calories from Fat 162
- Total Fat 18.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.2 g
- Cholesterol 40.6 mg
- Sodium 155.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 124.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 53.8 g
- Protein 7.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: