Recipe by s'kat
I do not like beans in any way, shape or form. That said, my fiancee found it very amusing when I ate this dish every day for lunch during our vacation in the Bahamas. It wasn't until we returned that he let me know these 'peas' were actually beans!!
Top Review by Stefanie Linden
Thanks for the great recipe. I used it a dinner of a Caribbean club that I am a part of and it was a hit, the other members who are from the islands loved this recipe. Although I am part Bahamian, I don't kno much of the culture this was a great start into my journey. Thanks again
- 1 cup pigeon peas
- 2 cloves garlic
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 cups rice
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cut bacon
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil peas in medium saucepan with 5-6 cups of water.
- Cook for 45 minutes or until tender and set aside.
- Fry bacon in a medium pot with the scallions, garlic, and red pepper.
- Saute for 3- 5 minutes and add salt, pepper, thyme, and tomato paste.
- Add peas and 4 cups of the water that was used to boil them in.
- Bring to a boil and add rice.
- Reduce heat, cover tightly, until most all of the water has evaporated.