Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I had this dish one time on a business trip to the Bahamas... Unbelievably good!
Make and share this Bahamian Guava Duff recipe from Food.com.
- Peel and core guavas. Rub cores through sieve to obtain some of the pulp, and mix with cut up guavas. Add sugar to taste.
- Beat butter, Crisco with sugar, then beat in egg yokes.
- Sieve flour, baking powder and salt and fold into butter/egg mixture. Add vanilla.
- Divide dough in 3 balls. Refrigerate 1/2 hour until firm.
- Spread out each of the balls on a piece of foil; cover with Guava. Starting at one end, fold into roll.
- Cover with foil, place in baking bag and seal. Boil 1 hour in large pot with hot water. Slice and serve warn with Sauce.
- FOR SAUCE: Beat egg whites in dish until foamy. Cream butter and sugar in a separate dish until sugar has dissolved. Gradually add egg whites and vanilla and continue beating till smooth. Add to top of warn Guava Duff when serving.
The amount of water is missing. I used about 1 1/4. Reduce the sugar in the sauce to about 3/4. Add more liquor to taste. This recipe is good guide for a tasty Bahamian dessert. Take it from a Bahamian!!
Guava was unavailable, but this cooks up nicely with canned pre-sliced mango, as well (as long as you mash it up a bit). I agree with Chef's steps, but got mixed up following them: the water goes in with the dough, and the sugar is a separate bit. I found that the liquor as called for, augmented with a little vanilla, was a perfect touch. I did the recipe with half-values for everything and it cooked up perfectly. I would, however, maybe use three egg whites instead of two for the sauce. Just as I remembered it from my trip to Nassau.
Yes, Guava Duff is the best dessert that I ever had.I lived in the Bahamas for several years<br/>and grew Guavas in the back yard. They used to drop on the ground and get very yellow.That was the best of all. The Duff now that is special. You have to know how to make it and the Bahamians sure do above anyone else.What a dessert.It will make your heart proud.However it is very fattening so watch out.