Recipe by Gaelige Coinnaigh
I had this dish one time on a business trip to the Bahamas... Unbelievably good!
Top Review by barrlaw
The amount of water is missing. I used about 1 1/4. Reduce the sugar in the sauce to about 3/4. Add more liquor to taste. This recipe is good guide for a tasty Bahamian dessert. Take it from a Bahamian!!
- 12 -15 large guavas
- 3 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup Crisco
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 2 eggs (or egg whites)
- 1 tablespoon rum (or 2 tsp vanilla)
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and core guavas. Rub cores through sieve to obtain some of the pulp, and mix with cut up guavas. Add sugar to taste.
- Beat butter, Crisco with sugar, then beat in egg yokes.
- Sieve flour, baking powder and salt and fold into butter/egg mixture. Add vanilla.
- Divide dough in 3 balls. Refrigerate 1/2 hour until firm.
- Spread out each of the balls on a piece of foil; cover with Guava. Starting at one end, fold into roll.
- Cover with foil, place in baking bag and seal. Boil 1 hour in large pot with hot water. Slice and serve warn with Sauce.
- FOR SAUCE: Beat egg whites in dish until foamy. Cream butter and sugar in a separate dish until sugar has dissolved. Gradually add egg whites and vanilla and continue beating till smooth. Add to top of warn Guava Duff when serving.