Prep 5 mins
Cook 50 mins
Conchs are quite popular in South Florida, as most there come from the Bahamas, were they are plentiful. If you cannot get frozen conchs, chopped clams may be substituted. If using chopped clams, add them at the last moment to keep them tender. The chowder is chunky, spicy, and robust with flavor - goes great with toasted bread rounds. Found recipe in, "The Whole Foods Market Cookbook."
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or canola oil)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium potato, peeled and chopped (Sweet Potato or Yucca is good)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (or 6 sprigs of fresh)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 (16 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can clam juice
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 lb conch, defrosted (chopped frozen,, or 16 oz chopped clams with liquid)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar (or 1 tbsp malt)
- 6 sprigs parsley, chopped
- 4 scallions, minced
- cayenne pepper
- Heat the oil in a large sauce pot over medium heat. Saute the onion, celery, carrots, red pepper, potato, thyme, red chili flakes, allspice, and bay leaves for 5 minutes, until they began to soften.
- Add the tomatoes, clam juice, and cold water. Bring to a boil and immediately lower to a simmer.
- If using defrosted conch meat, add now and cook for 35 minutes, uncovered. Then add the malt or red wine vinegar, parsley, scallions, salt, and cayenne pepper, and simmer 5 minutes.
- If using chopped clams, add now along with the malt or red wine vinegar, parsley, scallions, salt, and cayenne pepper, and simmer 5 minutes longer.
This was my first time trying conch. It was a real treat. My sister had had it before when she visited friends in Florida. And she loves sweet potatoes, so that's what I used. Also used the malt vinegar, just because I like it! Had to cook a little longer than posted, but overall, is something I would make again, even though I had to send off for the conch. Thnx for posting, Virginia Cherry Blossom. Made for ZWT5 for RRR