1/1 Photo of Bahamian Boiled Fish
Buster's friend's Note:
Boiled make it sound awful (& is really a misnomer as the fish is simmered gently until just done) but it is unbelievably delicious & soul satisfying. Located in the Miami Herald who adapted it from Culinaria The Caribbean by Rosemary Parkinson, (Konemann, 1999). The Miami herald article said: "Bahamian people know there is nothing like a good fish broth or soup to give you strength for the day ahead. Any white fish can be used but grouper is preferred (see source). Serve with grits and cornbread." If you can locate fish peppers to use in this dish, they are wonderful.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs grouper fillets, skinless
- 2 limes, juice of
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 1 clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1/2 lb potato, peeled and very thickly sliced (about 2 medium red skinned)
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon hot chili pepper, finely chopped
- 1Place the fish in a non-reactive dish and add the lime juice. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- 2Pour 2 cups of water into a pot and add the onions, garlic, parsley and thyme, potatoes, butter and chile pepper. Bring to a boil and boil about 10 minutes or until the potatoes are almost done (add more water, if necessary).
- 3Add the fish with marinade juices, reduce the heat to low and simmer about 10 minutes, or until the fish is just cooked through and starting to flake.
- 4Taste and adjust for salt and pepper. Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bahamian Boiled Fish
Serving Size: 1 (367 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 307.7
- Calories from Fat 47
- Total Fat 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 91.5 mg
- Sodium 437.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 45.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: