Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
On a recent vacation to the Bahamas with my daughter, we were served Johnny Cake with dinner instead of the usual bread or rolls. It's light, slightly sweet, and was served warm. We've made it for breakfast and there's never any left. It's great with butter or jam.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Lightly butter an 8-inch square or round cake pan.
- Whisk together flour and baking powder for a moment to aerate.
- Mix eggs, milk, and oil well. Stir into dry ingredients, mixing well. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 20-30 minutes or until top is golden brown. Brush crust with melted butter. Slice into wedges or squares, serve warm, and enjoy!
Light, sweet, and so easy to make! (Aside from the condensed milk being so damned sticky. XD) Texture reminds me of malai cake. I did cook it for a bit longer than stated, though, because it didn't really turn golden brown, more of a mellow yellow.
What I love-Too easy to make & delicious. I served this hot out of the oven for breakfast to some guests (Jamaican residents) who loved it. I didn't change a thing & I would make this again. Thank you for sharing it.