Prep 8 hrs
Cook 20 mins
This chicken has the wonderful flavors of lime juice, rum, onions, garlic, and island spices - plus a little bite of hot peppers. Adjust the heat to your liking, and either grill or oven-bake the chicken - it's delicious either way. Prep time includes marinating. Cook time is approximate for marinade only, not chicken itself.
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dark rum (I like Myers)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce
- In olive oil, saute onion, garlic, green onion, chilis, spices and herbs for about 7 minutes, until deep golden brown, stirring often.
- Stir in salt, rum and lime juice.
- Raise the heat, then lower and simmer until all liquid is absorbed.
- Let mixture cool, then place chicken in a glass dish and rub marinade all over it.
- Cover and let marinate in refrigerator overnight (or at least 4 hours).
- Turn chicken halfway through the marinating time.
- Grill or bake chicken as desired.
Wow! What a great marinade! I was looking for a tropical tasting marinade for an "Island Party" and instantly fell in love with this one after reading through the ingredients list. I ended up quadrupling it since I had 12 lbs of chicken and it worked out excellent! I cubed my chicken breasts, applied the marinade, and let it sit for about 4 hours, and then skewered them onto bamboo skewers with red bell pepper, fresh pineapple, and red onion. My dear hubby then grilled all of it and my oh my was it fabulous! The chicken was incredibly moist and had sweet spicy flavor. Absolutely delicious recipe... this will definitely be a keeper!
We really enjoyed this recipe. I used chicken breasts and cut into strips, let it marinade for 1/2 a day and found the flavors went right through the chicken. Cooked it on the BBQ and served with a salad. Thanks for posting this fantastic, quick and easy recipe.
I wasn't a fan of the spices used in this.