1/2 Photos of Bahama Mama Banana Rum Cake
1 hr 30 mins
A cake that blends a favorite drink with a rum cake and pound cake. This is dense, but not heavy, and the spicy molasses kick from the dark rum enhances the banana flavor. You may use light or dark brown sugar.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Dark Rum Glaze
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup dark rum
For the Cake
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup mashed banana, very ripe
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1TO MAKE THE GLAZE.
- 2Combine the butter, water, and sugars in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the rum. Set aside and keep warm.
- 3TO MAKE THE CAKE.
- 4Position a rack in the middle of the oven and heat to 350°F Spray a 10-cup tube pan with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle the pecans in the bottom of the pan and set aside.
- 5In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- 6One by one, beat in the eggs, taking care to mix well between each addition.
- 7Beat in the mashed bananas, vanilla, and rum.
- 8Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt over the batter and fold in using a rubber spatula, just until no streaks of flour remain.
- 9Fold in the sour cream.
- 10Spoon the batter into the pan and spread to the pan using the back of a rubber spatula.
- 11Bake about 60-80 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Use a wooden skewer to poke holes all over the cake and pour 1/4 cup glaze over the cake.
- 12Allow to cool for 5 more minutes. Place a serving platter over the pan and invert to release the cake. Spoon the remaining glaze over the cake, little by little, and let stand until the glaze is completely absorbed by the cake. If the glaze starts to pool at the base of the cake, use a small metal spatual to spread it up and around the sides of the cake. As the glaze cools, it will form a rummy, sugary shell.
- 13Allow to cool completely before serving.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bahama Mama Banana Rum Cake
Serving Size: 1 (270 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1020.9
- Calories from Fat 493
- Total Fat 54.8 g
- Saturated Fat 27.1 g
- Cholesterol 199.5 mg
- Sodium 460.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 119.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 86.2 g
- Protein 9.5 g