Recipe by anidifrancofan
A delicious vegetarian sandwich that I can't get enough of!
Top Review by Lucky in Bayview
Delicious! I had to use a little more olive oil and brushed a thin coat on each slice of eggplant. I wish the baguette I bought was little softer. It was a real jaw workout but the flavors and texture of everything else was perfect. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced 1/2 inch thick diagonally
- 1⁄2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 French baguette
- 1⁄2 lb tomatoes, sliced
- 1⁄4 lb provolone cheese, sliced
- 1⁄3 cup pesto sauce, of choice
- 3 lettuce leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Toss eggplant slices with olive oil, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt and a few pinches pepper.
- Lay eggplant on baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and brush with the balsamic vinegar.
- Cut baguette in half lengthwise and hollow out the center.
- Brush both sides generously with pesto, then lay eggplant in bottom in overlapping slices.
- Follow with an overlapping layer of tomatoes and sprinkle them lightly with salt and pepper.
- Place the cheese on top and follow with the lettuce.
- Place the top of the baguette on the sandwich and slice diagonally into 4 sandwiches.