Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A delicious vegetarian sandwich that I can't get enough of!
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced 1/2 inch thick diagonally
- 1⁄2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 French baguette
- 1⁄2 lb tomatoes, sliced
- 1⁄4 lb provolone cheese, sliced
- 1⁄3 cup pesto sauce, of choice
- 3 lettuce leaves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Toss eggplant slices with olive oil, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt and a few pinches pepper.
- Lay eggplant on baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and brush with the balsamic vinegar.
- Cut baguette in half lengthwise and hollow out the center.
- Brush both sides generously with pesto, then lay eggplant in bottom in overlapping slices.
- Follow with an overlapping layer of tomatoes and sprinkle them lightly with salt and pepper.
- Place the cheese on top and follow with the lettuce.
- Place the top of the baguette on the sandwich and slice diagonally into 4 sandwiches.
Delicious! I had to use a little more olive oil and brushed a thin coat on each slice of eggplant. I wish the baguette I bought was little softer. It was a real jaw workout but the flavors and texture of everything else was perfect. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Made just as directed and loved the flavors. Will certainly make again. Made for ZWT7 Shady Ladies.
Very nice sandwich. I liked all the different flavors in it. I did make a basil aoili and used arugula.