Top Review by *Pixie*
This was excellent and easy. I let my bread machine make the dough for this, by doing step 1 in the bowl of my bread machine and when it was foamy adding the 4 cups flour and the salt. Then I ran it on the dough setting and resumed these instructions at step 5. The brushing the top with cool water is new to me but it must have worked because it made a nice crusty bread. Thanks for sharing this recipe, Lubie.
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water (105-115 F)
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 4 -4 1⁄2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
Directions See How It's Made
- In large bowl, sprinkle yeast and sugar over warm water and let stand until foamy (about 5 minutes) With wooden spoon, stir in 2 cups flour until combined.
- Stir in salt and 2 cups remaining flour until mixture forms a stiff dough.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead dough with lightly floured hands (8 minutes or until smooth and elastic), kneading in enough of remaining 1/2 cup flour to keep dough from sticking.
- Transfer dough to a lightly oiled deep bowl covered with plastic wrap until doubled in bulk (about 1 1/2 hrs.) Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Punch down dough and form into a long slender loaf.
- (21 inches long and 3 inches wide) Put loaf diagonally on a lightly greased large or 17" x 14" baking sheet and let rise uncovered for about 30 minutes.
- Baguette may be made up to this point 4 hours ahead and chilled.
- Make 3-4 diagnal slashes on loaf with sharp knife and lightly brush top with cool water.
- Bake loaf on middle rack 30 minutes or until golden and transfer to rack to cool.