Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
In the fall I start looking for as many ways as possible to use pumpkin. This is adapted from "The Book of Jewish Food" by Claudia Roden. All measurements are relative to the amount of pumpkin you choose to use -- you will need a kitchen scale.
- Peel the pumpkin and removed the seeds and stringy bits, then weigh it.
- Next grate or shred it in a food processor.
- Put it in a bowl with half its weight of sugar and mix well.
- Leave it for at least an hour so that all the juices will be drawn out by the sugar.
- Put the pumpkin mix with all the juices into a pan and cook for about 10 minutes, or until very soft.
- Add 1/2 - 1 tablespoons of orange-blossom water for each pound (500g) of raw pumpkin used.
- Mix in 1 tsp ground cardamom per pound of pumpkin.
- Serve sprinkled with chopped pistachios, accompanied by yogurt cheese or mascarpone.