Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 20 mins
A fresh and delicious Iranian rice dish. This recipe is vegetarian; however, it is soooo good served with chicken! From My Persian Kitchen.
- 3 cups basmati rice, cooked
- 1 (14 ounce) package frozen lima beans
- 3 bunches dill, freshly chopped (About 5 1/2 cups)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons yogurt
- 1 pinch saffron
- 3 teaspoons spices, advieh (this can be found at a Middle Eastern market, or you can use vegetable or chicken bouillon)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- salt and pepper
- In a saucepan, saute the onion and lima beans over medium heat for about five minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine saffron water and yogurt. Add 1/2 cup of your basmati rice to this bowl and mix.
- In a large pot, add enough water to thinly cover the bottom. Add 3 tablespoons canola oil and give it a swirl so the water and oil mix.
- Layer the bottom of the pot with the rice and yogurt mixture.
- Add a handful of chopped dill to the pot then cover with a small layer of rice.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of advieh over the rice.
- Add a generous layer of lima beans.
- Add a generous layer of chopped dill.
- Gently mix the rice, fava beans, and dill.
- Continue layering until you are out of both rice and the vegetables. You should finish with a layer of rice. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of advieh on top.
- With the end of a spatula, make holes around the perimeter of the pot, making sure you don't pass the yogurt-rice layer.
- Cover and on high for 10 minutes.
- Place a towel on top of the pot and cover tightly. Cook on medium-low for 1 hour.
- Halfway through the cooking process, drizzle 2 tablespoons of melted butter or oil over the rice. If you'd like, you can also add a pinch of saffron to the butter or oil too.