Recipe by drhousespcatcher
also called Walk-About Chili but since there isn't an Aussie in sight here.. It is bagged chili.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, fine chopped
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 28 ounces whole tomatoes, undrained
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 16 (1 1/2 ounce) bags corn chips
- cheddar cheese, shredded
- onion, chopped
- green pepper, diced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 5-quarts kettle or Dutch oven, cook ground beef until well browned.
- Add onion and garlic; cook 2 minutes. Stir in chili powder, paprika, oregano, salt, and cumin; cook 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes and their liquid, tomato sauce, and tomato paste.
- Stir to break up tomatoes into bits.
- Heat mixture to boiling over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- If necessary, skim off and discard fat.
- (For best flavor, make chili ahead and refrigerate overnight. Reheat chili and spoon into thermos container if transporting to a picnic.).
- To serve, split open a bag of corn chips along one long side.
- Add 1/2 cup chili, then top with cheese, onions, and peppers.
- Spooning this spicy chili into bags of corn chips is a fun way to serve it, and allows you to eat it while walking around at football games or picnics.