Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Add all dry ingredients in a bag instead of a bowl, add wet ingredients and pour into a pan. Or one bag instructions for a campfire cook with dutchoven. Great for camping! I would like to clarify pan size, you can use a 9 X 13 pan also. The 8 X 5 pan referred to in the recipe was very deep and I now realize that most ofpans are not as deep. My round cake pans are also deep and so you might have to use 3 regular round pans.
- 591.47 ml white flour
- 354.88 ml sugar
- 14.78 ml baking soda
- 118.29 ml baking cocoa
- 4.92 ml salt
- 236.59 ml nonfat dry milk powder
- 14.79 ml cinnamon
- 1.23 ml cayenne pepper
- 118.29 ml crushed nuts (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 78.07 ml oil
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 295.73 ml cold water
- Pam cooking spray
- Put all bag ingredients in a gallon bag.
- Shake, shake and shake.
- Mix wet ingredients in a container or bowl.
- Add to bag in two increments and shake the bag each time.
- Spray Pam in a 8 X 5 pan or three round 8 inch cake pans. Round dutch oven can be used but should be sprayed with Pam or greased.
- Preheat oven 350*.
- Cook for approximately 25 minutes or until cake springs back up when touched in the middle and sides pull alway from the pan.
- Cool about 10 minutes.
- Frost with icing or serve plain with ice cream or whipped cream.
QUICK to put together and the baked result is delish!!! I followed the recipe word for word, except I didn't mix in the bag....I used a bowl; also, I baked in a 9x13 pan (I can't imagine baking this in an 8x5 pan, there would be too much batter for a pan that small). I LOVED the way this cake rose so evenly; the top was smooth and only slightly cracked; nice crumb-texture inside, moist and firm shape, too. I cut my 13x9 cake in half, then split each half horizontally to frost with a chocolate ganache using some melting chocolate left over from our Christmas baking expedition.... The middle layer and the very top, I spooned on some raspberry syrup mixed with a tsp of vanilla....in an Iron Chef manner, to soak into the cake. My quiet and reserved husband was taken aback by the delicious results, and gave it a thumb's-up which is equivalent to about 10 stars! Plus he's born and raised in Montana, so you KNOW this is a GREAT recipe! Made for *Comfort Cafe* Jan '10 QI is cocoa.