Everything goes in a gallon bag. Refrigerated and then served either from the bag (camping) or poured into a bowl. This is an original recipe. Turkey bacon can be used. The dressing recipe can be doubled if you want the salad a little more creamy.
- 4 large potatoes, peeled, cooked, cubed
- 4 stalks celery, washed, cut in bite size pieces
- 1 small sweet white onion, diced
- 4 medium garlic dill pickles, diced
- 1 cup pickled beet, diced
- 6 slices cooked bacon, diced (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, sprinkled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 drop red food coloring
- 2 dashes dry mustard
- In a one gallon zip lock bag, add bag ingredients.
- In small saucepan add olive oil,white vinegar and sugar. Heat on low until sugar is dissolved. Whisk.
- Add evaporated milk food coloring and dry mustard. Whisk until all ingredients are mixed.
- Pour half of the sauce in the one gallon bag. Close the bag and shake, shake, shake.
- Open the bag, add the rest of the sauce using a rubber spatula to get that last drop of sauce. Close bag again and shake, shake shake. Refrigerate at least an hour until serving.
- Should be served cold.
- Cooking time is refrigeration time.
- Options:This is an egg free recipe but if someone wants eggs this is the option. Sliced hard boiled eggs on top when it is served in a large bowl and chives sprinkled on top of the eggs.
- Note: Add six slices of cooked bacon, diced for a main dish meal.
- Additional Note: I made the dressing "vinegary". If you want it sweeter add more sugar or substitute Splenda. Taste to your own. The beets are sweet and sour and the dressing highlights this taste.