Recipe by A Messy Cook
I found this wholesome, hearty bread on The Council of Elrond, a Tolkien-centered website which includes a treasure trove of fabulous recipes. AsliannQuinn, the site member who submitted the recipe, says: "Men and Elves can barely handle a slice of this Hobbiton staple without a big glass of milk." Well, whether you're a Tolkien fan or not, I'm sure you'll like this!
Top Review by gillygirl
This is bread and delicious and deserves far more reviews! It's moist and as other reviewers said quite light for a whole wheat bread. I added walnuts, and eat it by itself or with a little butter. I'm looking forward to trying other variations. Thanks for the recipe!
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans are good)
- seeds (sesame, poppy, sunflower, etc.)
Directions See How It's Made
- Blend first five ingredients in large bowl.
- Add soda and salt; mix well.
- Stir in flour and nuts.
- Pour into well-greased 9" or 10" bread pan; aprinkle seeds on top, as much as you like.
- Cover loosely with tin foil, shiny side up, and bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve hot!