Recipe by evelyn/athens
My 3 friends and I tried a lot of different dishes when travelling in Austria. Our policy was to always order something different - and never the same dish twice. This is a tasty meat and potato stew. I do forego the 'pastry lid' as I have a pretty good oven casserole dish and little steam escapes.
Top Review by Elaniemay
We weren't real crazy about this. It was warm and satisfying for a very cold night we were having, but we thought it needed something to perk it up. Sorry, everyone has different tastes. Made for ZWT 6.
- 1 lb lamb shoulder, deboned and cubed
- 1 lb beef stew meat
- 1 lb pork, deboned and cubed
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 -4 leeks, cleaned well and coarsely chopped
- 3 -4 carrots, cleaned and coarsely chopped
- thyme, to taste
- bay leaf, to taste
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 3 lbs potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- flour and water
Directions See How It's Made
- The night before: Toss together and marinate the meats with the diced onion, leeks, carrots, spices and garlic. Then add the white wine and keep in refrigerator overnight.
- The next day: Remove the meat, draining it, but keeping the juices. Grease a covered roasting dish and cover the bottom with half of the potatoes. Place the marinated meat on top of the potatoes, along with the onions and leeks. Salt and pepper lightly. Place the rest of the potatoes on top of meat, covering thoroughly. Pour the marinade over the whole thing, and add water, enough to reach the top layer of potatoes.
- Mix together some flour and water, in order to get a rather soft and sticky dough. Place the lid on the dish and seal it with this dough. Be sure to press the dough firmly, to be sure it is sealed and not just resting on top of the lid.
- Bake in a 275-300 degree oven for 3 to 3 1/2 hours. Serve right from the dish, hot.