1/1 Photo of Bademiya's Justly Famous Chile-Coriander Chicken
This is a recipe from Steven Raichlen's "The BBQ Bible". Here is what is stated: "The original version of this dish is hot, hot, hot. For the full effect, use 1 entire tablespoon of cayenne. For a milder but highly flavorful rendition, use 1 to 2 teaspoons cayenne, or substitute hot paprika which isn’t quite as fiery. To round out your meal at Bademiya, two fulltime bakers work nonstop tossing paper-thin disks of dough onto charcoal-fired metal domes to make freshly cooked ruoomali ("handkerchief" bread). Since these are difficult to make, I suggest serving this chicken with either of two thoroughly non-Indian but definitely satisfactory alternatives, flour tortillas or lavash. Afghan Coriander Sauce and Tamarind Dipping Sauce make great accompaniments." NOTE: Allow 4-6 hours to marinade.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 chicken quarters, skinned, rinsed and patted dry (could be cut into thigh and drumstick portions)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 piece fresh ginger (2 inches)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water (or as needed)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 -3 teaspoon cayenne pepper (see above)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 11. Remove and discard the skin from the chicken legs, then rinse under cold running water. Drain and blot dry with paper towels. Place the legs in a baking dish large enough to hold them in one layer and set aside while you prepare the seasoning paste.
- 22. Heat a dry skillet over medium heat and add the coriander seeds, peppercorns, and cumin seeds. Toast the spices until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes, shaking the skillet occasionally. Let cool, then transfer to a spice mill and grind to a fine powder. Combine the ground spices in a blender or mini chopper with the garlic, ginger, oil, 1/4 cup water, lemon juice, cayenne, and salt. Process to a smooth paste, adding more water if necessary to obtain a pourable consistency. Add the cilantro and process just to mix.
- 33. Using your fingers, spread the seasoning paste over the chicken legs to coat on both sides, then cover and let marinate, in the refrigerator, for 4 to 6 hours.
- 44. Preheat the grill to high.
- 55. When ready to cook, oil the grill grate. Remove the chicken legs from the baking dish and arrange on the hot grate. Grill, turning with tongs, until the juices run clear when the tip of the skewer or sharp knife is inserted in the thickest part of a thigh, 6 to 10 minutes per side (12 to 20 minutes in all).
- 66. Transfer the chicken legs to serving plates or a platter and serve immediately garnished with sliced red onion and lime or lemon wedges.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bademiya's Justly Famous Chile-Coriander Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (40 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 107.9
- Calories from Fat 97
- Total Fat 10.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 875.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 0.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: