This is my grandmother's soup recipe. I remember when I was a kid having this soup. I always loved it. This soup is very hearty . When ever I make a roast and have left overs I make this soup. This soup is very easy to prepare. Mostly it is just adding ingredients into either a crock pot or soup pot. I like to use the medium barley because I think it holds up better than the quick cooking barley. You can feel free to use either.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs chuck roast
- 1 1/2 lbs hamburger
- 1/2-1 cup barley
- 1 quart crushed tomatoes
- 30 ounces cut green beans, undrained
- 30 ounces yellow beans, undrained
- 29 ounces sweet peas, undrained
- 10 3/4 ounces condensed tomato soup
- 2 cups carrots, 1/2-inch thick
- 1 cup celery, 1/2-inch thick
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1Prepare roast. When finished set aside to cool so you can shed the meat into the soup.
- 2In a large skillet add oil, onion, celery, carrots cook until carrots start to soften. Add hamburger, cook until done. Drain fat and discard.
- 3In a a separate pan cook the barley according to the directions on the box.
- 4In a large soup pot or crock pot add all of the remaining ingredients. Take the cooled roast and shred into bite size pieces. Add the roast, burger, barley.
- 5Heat through and salt and pepper to taste.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Baddis Vegetable Beef Barley Soup
Serving Size: 1 (398 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 590.0
- Calories from Fat 265
- Total Fat 29.5 g
- Saturated Fat 10.8 g
- Cholesterol 108.2 mg
- Sodium 749.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.9 g
- Sugars 14.7 g
- Protein 40.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: