Prep 3 hrs
Cook 1 hr
This is my grandmother's soup recipe. I remember when I was a kid having this soup. I always loved it. This soup is very hearty . When ever I make a roast and have left overs I make this soup. This soup is very easy to prepare. Mostly it is just adding ingredients into either a crock pot or soup pot. I like to use the medium barley because I think it holds up better than the quick cooking barley. You can feel free to use either.
- 2 lbs chuck roast
- 1 1⁄2 lbs hamburger
- 1⁄2-1 cup barley
- 1 quart crushed tomatoes
- 30 ounces cut green beans, undrained
- 30 ounces yellow beans, undrained
- 29 ounces sweet peas, undrained
- 10 3⁄4 ounces condensed tomato soup
- 2 cups carrots, 1/2-inch thick
- 1 cup celery, 1/2-inch thick
- 1⁄2 sweet onion, diced
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Prepare roast. When finished set aside to cool so you can shed the meat into the soup.
- In a large skillet add oil, onion, celery, carrots cook until carrots start to soften. Add hamburger, cook until done. Drain fat and discard.
- In a a separate pan cook the barley according to the directions on the box.
- In a large soup pot or crock pot add all of the remaining ingredients. Take the cooled roast and shred into bite size pieces. Add the roast, burger, barley.
- Heat through and salt and pepper to taste.