Prep 25 mins
Cook 6 hrs
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 lbs celery, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon malt vinegar or 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- seasoning salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- chili sauce or ketchup, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce (recipe ID# 23123)
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- In a large skillet, sauté the beef, onion, celery, green pepper, and garlic in olive oil until the beef is completely done.
- In the meantime, make a seasoning mixture by combining the Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, brown sugar, seasoning salt, pepper, vinegar, mustard, paprika, and chili powder in a measuring cup and mixing well.
- When the meat is done, add the seasoning mixture.
- Stir in well and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, Badazz BBQ sauce, liquid smoke, and chili sauce or ketchup.
- Bring to a boil, remove from heat, and transfer to a crockpot.
- Cover and simmer on low setting for several hours.
I changed things a little--used thinly sliced round steak and didn't brown it first, but it still turned out awesome. I also put pepper jack cheese on top!