1/2 Photos of Badanegai Ennegai (Stuffed Eggplant)
1 hr 30 mins
dimpi sista's Note:
This is a north Karnataka side dish traditionally eaten with rottis like jolada rotti or akki rotti. It can be served with chapathis and rice too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 Thai eggplants (washed and slit into 4 quarters without slicing all the way)
- 4 tablespoons roasted peanuts (skinless)
- 2 tablespoons roasted sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon channa dal
- 1 tablespoon Urad Dal
- 4 dried red chilies (depending on your spice level)
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds or 2 tablespoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 5 -6 curry leaves
- 4 tablespoons grated coconut
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste (depends on the strength of the paste)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons powdered jaggery
- 1 pinch hing
- salt, to taste
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 3 -5 tablespoons oil
- coriander leaves (to garnish) (optional)
- 1Wash and slit eggplants into quarters without slicing all the way through (see picture). Keep soaked in water for 30 mins while you prepare the masala.
- 2Dry roast peanuts and sesame seeds. Keep aside.
- 3Dry masala: In a tbsp of oil, roast channa dal, urad dal, red chillies, corriander seeds if using (instead of powder), mustard, cumin and curry leaves until the dals turn slightly brown.
- 4Grind together the above roasted dry masala along with grated coconut, tamarind paste, turmeric powder, jaggery, hing, salt and 2 chopped onions. Add corriander powder if using (instead of seeds). Add as much water as needed to get a semi solid paste (about 1/4 cup water). The ground masala should not be watery.
- 5Mix the remaining chopped onions to the ground masala.
- 6Stuff this masala into the slit eggplants.
- 7In a skillet / wok / karahi, heat oil and place stuffed eggplants in one level.
- 8Add required amount of water (anywhere from 1-2 cups) to left over masala and pour over the eggplants.
- 9Cook till eggplants are done turning over every 5-7 minutes Takes about 50-60 minutes Add another 2-3 tbsp oil if required.
Browse Our Top Indian Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Indian Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Badanegai Ennegai (Stuffed Eggplant)
Serving Size: 1 (219 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 255.7
- Calories from Fat 163
- Total Fat 18.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 96.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.3 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 6.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: