1/1 Photo of Bada Bing Betty's Tuscan Portobello Melt (Grilled Cheese)
Also known as Tuscan Portobello Melt.This winning recipe (combined with Smokin' Fire Roasted Red Pepper Soup) was Betty Fraser's entry for the Top Chef episode where the competitors had to present a "comfort food". The soup and sandwich combo will become a featured item on TGI Friday's menu. The judges raved about then and I know why. Delicious!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 slices sourdough bread
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 large portabella mushroom caps, sliced
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 5 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 1/4 cups grated provolone cheese
- 1 1/4 cups grated monterey jack cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2In a medium skillet, combine 2 tablespoons olive oil and red onion. Cook over medium heat until onions are beginning to soften. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a roasting dish.
- 3In the same skillet, combine tomatoes and balsamic vinegar. Cook over medium heat until the tomatoes are beginning to soften. Transfer to roasting dish with onions.
- 4In a medium bowl, gently toss Portobello mushrooms with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Transfer to roasting dish with other ingredients. Add white wine.
- 5Place roasting dish in oven and bake for 20-30 minutes. Remove from oven and let mixture cool to room temperature.
- 6In a small saucepan, combine butter and thyme springs. Cook over low heat until butter is melted. Remove from heat and discard thyme.
- 7Brush one side of each slice of bread with butter. Place slices buttered side down on a clean surface. Top half of the slices with 1/4 cup provolone cheese and 1/4 cup Monterey jack cheese. Top cheese with mushroom mixture, dividing evenly between the slices. Top with remaining bread slices.
- 8Heat a griddle (or frying pan) to medium high heat. Place sandwiches on griddle to brown. Flip after 2 minutes to brown other side and cook until golden brown and cheese is melted.
- 9To serve: Cut in half and serve with a cup of soup.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bada Bing Betty's Tuscan Portobello Melt (Grilled Cheese)
Serving Size: 1 (375 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 871.7
- Calories from Fat 418
- Total Fat 46.5 g
- Saturated Fat 24.5 g
- Cholesterol 96.7 mg
- Sodium 1109.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 8.3 g
- Protein 32.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh thyme sprigs