Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
From the Vegetarian Society. This became Christmas Dinner with a few tweaks because some twit forgot to thaw and press the tofu. Just call me Phil the twit. It got the name bad hunter stew because I said it put me in mind of Hunter stew. Then I said "Bad hunter stew"
- 1 cup water, plus
- 1⁄2 cup water, see note
- 1 ounce dried wild mushrooms, such as morel, shiitake or 1 ounce porcini mushroom
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 small turnips, peeled and cut in quarters
- 2 parsnips, diced
- 4 -5 small potatoes, cut in half
- 1⁄2 lb shiitake mushroom, halved
- 3 dried tomatoes, made into powder
- 8 ounces seitan, cut in small chunks
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, see note
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot (or more)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- fresh ground pepper
- Boil one cup of the water and soak the dried mushrooms (if they are morels or shiitake) for 30 minutes. Save soaking water. If using porcini add when recommended.
- In pan over medium heat,add onion, carrot, turnips, and potatoes. Sauté for 3 to 5 minutes until onion begins to soften. Add fresh mushrooms, tomato powder, and 1/4 cup water. Cook for 5 more minutes. Then add seitan chunks, dried herbs, and rehydrated mushrooms that have been cut in pieces. Cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add soaking water drained of any debris and porcini, if using them. Add the miso and stir. Cook for about 10 more minutes until vegetables are almost tender.
- Combine the remaining 1/4 cup water with the arrowroot and add to the pan over medium heat, stirring until thickened. If too thick add water 1 tablespoon at a time. If too thin add arrowroot 1 teaspoon at a time. Season with black pepper. Add parsley just before serving.
- Note you may need to add more water. Also note you can omit the vinegar or use a port or red cooking wine instead. If using port or red cooking wine use Vegan acceptable.