Recipe by King Lu
For best results prepare this one-day ahead. When the ingredients are allowed to blend overnight the flavour is amazing. An incredible soup that can be a meal on its own. Be prepared; all the chopping takes time if you are doing it by hand. I cheat by running the vegetables through the food processor twice.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 white onions, finely chopped
- 8 ounces bacon or 8 ounces italian pancetta, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 10 ounces thin veal, finely chopped (scallopini)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 2 medium turnips, finely chopped
- 10 ounces mushrooms, finely chopped (white button)
- 2 medium white potatoes, finely chopped
- 18 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons fresh dill, snipped and chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large soup pot and cook onions and bacon over medium heat until onions start to colour, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in paprika and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the veal and just enough stock to cover it.
- Cover pan and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add carrots, turnips, mushrooms, potatoes, tomatoes, and remaining stock, season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender about 20 minutes.
- Halfway through add red peppers.
- Add a little more stock if the soup looks dry.
- Put sour cream in a bowl and whisk in flour, then whisk in cream.
- Pour this mixture into the soup and bring to a boil, stirring consistently.
- Simmer 2 more minutes.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper.
- Before serving add dill and stir.