Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
These muffins make a great breakfast served warm from the oven with a spoonfull of butter or soft cheese.
- 100 g smoked streaky bacon, roughly chopped
- 50 g butter
- 300 g plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 25 g cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 120 g cheddar cheese, finely diced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 300 ml milk
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees centigrade.
- Line a muffin tin with paper cases.
- Cook the bacon in a non-stick fry pan for 3-4 minutes until golden.
- Drain on kitchen paper.
- Add the butter to the ban, remove from the heat and leave to melt.
- Sift the flower and baking powder into a large bowl and stir in the cornmeal, sugar, salt, cooked bacon and three quarters of the cheese.
- Crack the egg into a seperate bowl and whisk in the egg and melted butter.
- Stir the liquid into the dry ingredients, taking care not to over mix.
- Divide the mixture between the paper cases, scatter over the reserved cheese and bake for 20 minutesor so until well risen and just firm.
- Transfer to a wire rack, and allow to cool slightly-if you can wait, that is.