Prep 24 hrs 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
My recipe for "baconated" (bacon-marinated) Southern fried chicken. The bacon fat helps the skin cook up crisp, and seal in the juices. The whole eggs compliment the bacon flavor perfectly, and lend a crispness to the breading. Try it... you'll love it.
- 8 -12 pieces cut-up fryer chickens (Foster Farms)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup filtered hickory bacon drippings
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 4 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- peanut oil
- NOTE: STRAIN HOT BACON DRIPPINGS THROUGH A FINE SIEVE TO REMOVE ALL DEBRIS BEFORE USING. USE REAL ALLSPICE, NOT A CINNAMON//CLOVE/NUTMEG SUBSTITUTE.
- PLACE chicken into a large saucepan (with accompanying lid); WEARING disposable gloves, sprinkle chicken pieces with salt and freshly ground pepper; RUB seasonings well into chicken; POUR bacon drippings over chicken; RUB again until chicken is thoroughly coated; REFRIGERATE for a minimum of 2 hours to overnight, turning as needed.
- IN a large bowl add the BREADING ingredients except the flour and cornstarch; COMBINE ingredients well using a whisk; ADD the flour and cornstarch; WHISK well until mixture is thoroughly blended.
- IN a medium to large bowl, beat 4 large eggs; ADD the chicken pieces and turn to coat well; TRANSFER a few pieces chicken at a time into the breading container; ROLL chicken in breading until well-coated; GENTLY shake excess breading from chicken; PLACE breaded chicken on a platter and repeat procedures with remaining chicken; LET chicken rest a few minutes to absorb breading.
- ADD the manufacturer's recommended amount frying oil for deep-frying; PLACE deep-fryer basket into place in deep-fryer; PREHEAT fryer to 315°F (or preheat enough fat to immerse chicken completely in deep heavy stovetop pot between 315°F to 325°F, using a standard deep-fryer thermometer to gauge).
- CAREFULLY drop each piece breaded chicken one at a time, gently into the deep-fryer basket without crowding (if a standard size home fryer is used, add no more than 2-3 pieces at a time); (if stovetop frying, gently place breaded chicken pieces into hot oil using tongs, turning once halfway through frying duration).
- FRY chicken between 15-18 minutes until golden brown and fully cooked, depending on chicken portions/sizes (juices should run clear when chicken is done); BLOT chicken lightly to absorb excess oil.
- MAINTAIN frying fat temperature for each new batch and repeat the same cooking/steaming procedures for the remaining chicken.
- REHEAT chicken before serving, on grill-inserted broiler pan(s) in a preheated oven until warmed (keep oven temperature at 170°F (do not keep chicken in oven over 25 minutes, since it will lose moisture and flavor at that point).
- SERVE and enjoy!