Recipe by Merlot
Even though this is a very old recipe, I thought it might be something new to the "young whipper-snappers" who have recently joined Zaar. It was always a popular appetizer.
Top Review by Laurita
What a great alternative to bacon wrapped oysters (en brochette). I love those but some people freak out on the oyster idea. So, I made some non-seafood appetizers like this and they sure went quick. I brought them out onto paper towels to make sure no hot grease was pocketed away! The crunchy sweetened water chestnuts are awesome. Thanks in helping me please everyone!
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 8 slices bacon, cut in half crosswise
- Marinate the water chestnuts in soy sauce for 1 hour.
- Roll each chestnut in the brown sugar.
- Wrap each chestnut with a piece of bacon.
- Secure with a toothpick.
- Arrange on a cake rack in a shallow baking pan.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- NOTE: This can be prepared ahead of time and stored in refrigerator until ready to bake.