Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
Even though this is a very old recipe, I thought it might be something new to the "young whipper-snappers" who have recently joined Zaar. It was always a popular appetizer.
- Marinate the water chestnuts in soy sauce for 1 hour.
- Roll each chestnut in the brown sugar.
- Wrap each chestnut with a piece of bacon.
- Secure with a toothpick.
- Arrange on a cake rack in a shallow baking pan.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- NOTE: This can be prepared ahead of time and stored in refrigerator until ready to bake.
What a great alternative to bacon wrapped oysters (en brochette). I love those but some people freak out on the oyster idea. So, I made some non-seafood appetizers like this and they sure went quick. I brought them out onto paper towels to make sure no hot grease was pocketed away! The crunchy sweetened water chestnuts are awesome. Thanks in helping me please everyone!
Easy and good! Thanks for posting this. :)
I made these appetizers for our couple's Bible study get together at Christmas time. I only made one batch. They were gone instantly. When our Valentine's Day get together was approaching these were requested. I also found out that they had been made by several couples in the mean time. They are so easy and everyone loves them.