These are a delicious appetizer. Sweet and crunchy. Give them a try, they are really good. I got this recipe from a friend, not sure where they got it from.
- Cut bacon slices in half.
- Drain waterchestnuts.
- Wrap bacon around each waterchestnut and secure with a toothpick.
- In a medium sauce pan, combine sugar, vinegar, 1 c water, pepper, salt and pimentos. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Mix cornstarch with the 2 T of cold water. Dissolve and add to sauce to slightly thicken sauce.
- Place wrapped waterchestnuts in cake pan (or pan of your choice that sauce will not run over in). Pour sauce over waterchestnuts. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
Delicious: my dinner guests tonight loved these! I scaled back the recipe to serve five, which four of us devoured without difficulty! And I really appreciated being able to prepare these largely in advance. Being in basically unfamiliar territory, I made these pretty much to the recipe - except for using wine instead of water in step four. Thanks for sharing this truly delicious recipe, KaraRN. Made for 1-2-3 Hit Wonders. I'll certainly be making these again!
I also didn't have any pimientos but this dish didn't suffer for it. Very good and my boys loved them (even though they couldn't figure out what was in the middle!)
This is very good. I followed recipe exactly except I didn't have any pimientos. I will make this again. Made for Photo Tag 2007.