Recipe by KaraRN
These are a delicious appetizer. Sweet and crunchy. Give them a try, they are really good. I got this recipe from a friend, not sure where they got it from.
Top Review by bluemoon downunder
Delicious: my dinner guests tonight loved these! I scaled back the recipe to serve five, which four of us devoured without difficulty! And I really appreciated being able to prepare these largely in advance. Being in basically unfamiliar territory, I made these pretty much to the recipe - except for using wine instead of water in step four. Thanks for sharing this truly delicious recipe, KaraRN. Made for 1-2-3 Hit Wonders. I'll certainly be making these again!
- 4 (4 ounce) cans water chestnuts
- 2 lbs bacon
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 cup water, plus
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 4 tablespoons pimientos
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut bacon slices in half.
- Drain waterchestnuts.
- Wrap bacon around each waterchestnut and secure with a toothpick.
- In a medium sauce pan, combine sugar, vinegar, 1 c water, pepper, salt and pimentos. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Mix cornstarch with the 2 T of cold water. Dissolve and add to sauce to slightly thicken sauce.
- Place wrapped waterchestnuts in cake pan (or pan of your choice that sauce will not run over in). Pour sauce over waterchestnuts. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.