Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
An easy to make party dish or appetizer. Times do not reflect marinating time.
- 16 fresh water chestnuts (can use canned)
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 8 slices bacon, cut in half
- Peel and rinse fresh water chestnuts. If using canned be sure to rinse well and drain. Marinate chestnuts in soy sauce for 2 1/2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Put the brown sugar in a dish and break up any clumps. Remove chestnuts from soy sauce and immediately roll in brown sugar. Wrap each with 1 piece of the cut bacon and secure with a toothpick.
- Place chestnuts on a rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake 30 minutes, turning once.
- Note: They can be prepared in advance and frozen before cooking. Lasts 2 to 3 months in a sealed freezer bag.