Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A can't miss appetizer. Got this from a friend a few years back. Thanks Connie!
Make and share this Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnut recipe from Food.com.
- 16 ounces whole water chestnuts, drained
- 1 lb bacon
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- Cut bacon slices in half and wrap one piece around each water chestnut.
- Secure with a tooth pick.
- Place on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 325 degrees until bacon is crisp, about 30 minutes.
- Mix mayo, chili sauce, and brown sugar in a small sauce pan and simmer until heated through.
- Place cooked water chestnuts in an ovenproof baking dish and cover with sauce.
- Cover dish and bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Great appetizer! Instead of using a whole piece of bacon per chestnut, I usually cut each strip into thirds. Put them under the broiler until bacon is done (about 7 minutes) before adding the sauce. When I am in a hurry I simply used the precooked bacon slices. Taste just as great!!
Of all the bacon wrapped water chestnut recipes available, this is the best for overall taste! The combination of mayo, chili-garlic sauce, and brown sugar are deeeelicious! I prepare mine a little differently than MTDavids. I wrap the chestnuts with bacon, put them on a cookie sheet and grill them under the broiler for about 7 minutes. They are really juicy and crispy that way, without being too dry, and it saves me the time, reducing 60 minutes down to 7 or 8. I then mix the sauce ingredients in a bowl and dip each chesnut into sauce and place on my serving tray. You really don't have to heat the sauce on the stove. We've tried it both ways and it comes out pretty much the same. Just another time saver in a rushed "not enough time or hands" situation.
I used sugar free brown sugar and low fat mayo and they were perfect...