Prep 1 hr 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
You won't beleive how good this is. Hubby wanted to lick the plate. Yum
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced thin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 1⁄2-2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 lb filet mignon, cut in 4 pieces
- 4 slices bacon
- crushed black peppercorns
- In a large frying pan heat oil over high heat.
- Add onions and lower the heat to medium.
- Add salt& pepper mix thoroughly.
- Sweat onions down for about 15 minutes stirring often.
- You want the onions very soft.
- Add sugar and reduce heat to low.
- Mix well& cook 5-10 minutes or until most of liquid is absorbed.
- Add balsamic vinegar.
- Mix well cook for 20-40 minutes until sauce becomes a dark rich syrup.
- Pre-heat ove to 450 degrees.
- Heat oil in a oven proof skillet.
- Wrap a piece of bacon around each filet, secure with toothpick if needed.
- sprinkle steaks with crushed peppercorns.
- Sear each side of filets about 2 minutes.
- Place skillet in oven and bake 10 minutes.
- Steakes will be medium rare.
- Remove filets from skillet.
- Allow to rest 1-2 minutes Pour warm sauce over top& serve.
This was PERFECT. I can't believe I actually cooked this and it worked and it was so easy. Seriously. Steak is like one of those things I don't even try, but I had a special occasion and went for it. So glad I did and so glad you posted this. BF will love me forever for this one.
I didn't make the bacon wrapped steak, but I made the balsamic onion sauce. Can I just say, "WOW!" If you like balsamic vinegar and onions, you'll LOVE this. I saved and topped it on salad and the steak I'd made. There was a bit left the day after and I just ate it out of the tupperware. LOL. YUM
This was really yummy! Thanks for sharing!