Recipe by sugaree
I found this recipe on another site when I was looking to use up some leftover smoked gouda. It's very flavorful, easy enough for weekenights yet perfect for a dinner party too.
Top Review by Janteach50
I made several adaptions to this recipe and it was fantastic. I did beat the chicken breast flat and then folded them in half with a piece of foil in the middle. I seasons the inside with the ingredients listed. I baked the breast in a 350 oven for about 15 minutes. Instead of rolling the chicken breast with the bacon, I cut the bacon up and fried until crisp. I then took the bacon pieces out and drained. I threw away all the bacon fat except for one tablespoon which I used to saute 1 large sliced onion in and cooked or carmelized the onion for about 15 minutes with 1 Tbsp brown sugar. When the onions were done, I added back the bacon, and then added about 1 cup of shredded gouda cheese. I removed the breast from the oven and removed the foil. I place about 1/6 of the onion mixture in the middle of the chicken breast and then folded it back over. I then sprinked the remaining onions and cheese over the top and returned to the oven for another 10 minutes. This was a really good supper. Served with fresh brocolli and fresh fruit. It was great.
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 4 slices bacon
- 3 -4 ounces smoked gouda cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine, cayenne, garlic powder, paprika and pepper.
- Flatten chicken breasts to approx 1/4" thickness.
- Season both sides of chicken with the cayenne mixture.
- Place small piece (s) of cheese on chicken and roll up, pressing firmly.
- Wrap each stuffed breast with a bacon slice and then brown over medium heat until bacon just begins to crisp.
- Bake in a 350 oven for 20 minutes.