These are fabulous! Very easy to prepare and impressive for a romantic dinner or company! You can grill these or cook them under the broiler.
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried tarragon, crushed
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 16 large shrimp, peeled, deveined, with the tail segment left on
- 8 slices smoked bacon, cut crosswise in thirds
- 16 wooden toothpicks, soaked in water for 20 minutes and drained
- For the béarnaise sauce: Combine the mayonnaise, shallots, tarragon, vinegar and pepper in a small bowl.
- Cover and let stand at room temperature to blend the flavors, at least 1 hour.
- Wrap a bacon strip around each shrimp, securing the bacon with a toothpick.
- Broil: 5 minutes until bacon starts to crisp.
- Turn shrimp and broil another few minutes until bacon is crisp all the way, remove and drain on paper towels.
- Keep shrimp warm.
- Or For Barbeque: Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat).
- Brush grill rack lightly with oil.
- Grill, covered, turning once, until the bacon is crisp and the shrimp is firm, about 8 minute.
- Remove toothpicks and serve immediately with the sauce.