Recipe by ellie_
My mother used to make these years ago and kept warm on a warming tray (the kind that is plugged into the wall)and my dh really liked them, so I was glad when I came across this recipe for them in an old Bon Appetit (April 1982)
Top Review by dragonpawz
I have made this so many times. But we just wrapped them in bacon and put them on the grill. This was awesome! Great flavor and the extra work was so worth it! The only thing is I would bake it for 30 minuets so the bacon gets cooked better. This was our Christmas Eve dinner and my husband said it is a "Do over"!!! Thanks for posting!
- 236.59 ml flour
- 14.79 ml salt
- 14.79 ml paprika
- 4.92 ml white pepper
- 4.92 ml garlic powder
- 21 sea scallops
- 1 egg, beaten
- 236.59 ml milk
- 236.59 ml breadcrumbs
- 7 slice bacon, strips cut into thirds
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400-degrees F.
- Grease a pie dish and set aside.
- In a pie dish combine first 5 ingredients (flour - garlic powder).
- In a seperate pie dish or bowl mix egg and milk together.
- In a third pie dish place bread crumbs.
- If set up assembly line fashion - this makes a really easy process to get the scallops ready - I use disposable pie tins for this (that come with frozen prepared pie crusts).
- Roll scallops in flour mixture and then dip in milk/egg mixture and finally into the breadcrumbs.
- Wrap each scallops with bacon, securing with toothpick and then transfer to prepared greased pie dish.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve warm (see description above for my mother's method) with tartar sauce or cocktail sauce.