Recipe by tipsforBBQ
These little guys are ALWAYS a hit with the adults and kids. Barbecue appetizers or backyard hors d'oeuvres as I like to call them are a great way to give your guests a hint of what they're in store for. Not to mention they'll fend off the hungry crowds while the ribs are finishing. But don't be offended when some misguided soul raves about these and neglects to mention your fine 'cue! You can do these on the pan in your smoker or if its full they work just as well in the oven. Trust me, they're great either way.
- 1 lb bacon
- 1 (2 lb) package smoked sausage (Bar-S, Falls Brand...)
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili pepper flakes or 1 -2 tablespoon candied ginger
- 3⁄4 teaspoon brown sugar (per sausage)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the bacon strips in half length-wise (just leave in the package and cut with a knife). Cut the sausage into pieces that are about the same width of the bacon strips. Just toss the ends of the sausages.
- Wrap the 1/2-strips of bacon around the sausages and hold it in place with a toothpick. Place on top of a cookie sheet. Now I like to do these two ways: for a spicy kick shake a few pepper flakes on top of each sausage or for more of a sweeter flavor try a small sliver of candied ginger.
- Top each sausage with a loose 1/2 - 3/4 tsp scoop of brown sugar. The brown sugar will be used to gauge when the sausages are done. When it melts down and turns into a little volcano of brown sugar they are READY!
- If your grill is already full then put these in your oven at 300°F for approximately 45-60 minutes. Its nearly impossible to overcook these, but you do want to keep some of the molten brown sugar on top for flavor. So don't forget to give your guests this treat.