Found this recipe in "Cooking with Paula", Jan/Feb 2008 issue.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 quail
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened and divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 6 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a deep roasting pan. I.
- 2In a small bowl, combine 2 t. salt, 1 t. pepper, dry mustard, and garlic powder. On a clean flat surface, lay quail flat: season inside of each cavity with 1/4 t. salt mixture. Reshape quail to form whole bird: tightly wrap a strip of bacon around body to hold it's shape.
- 3Place quail, breast side up, in prepared pan. Squeeze juice of the quartered lemons over the quail, and scatter the rinds around the pan.
- 4Bake for 16 minutes; broil for 8 minutes to brown the skin.
- 5In a small skillet, whisk 1 T. butter & flour together over medium heat; cook until golden brown, whisking constantly. Set aside.
- 6In a large skillet, melt remaining butter over medium-high heat; add mushrooms and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 8 minutes.
- 7Add wine; cook until liquid is almost gone. Stir in broth, 1/2 t. salt, 1/2 t. pepper, thyme and the flour mixture. Reduce heat to medium low, and simmer for 6 minutes, or until mixture bubbles and thickens,.
Browse Our Top Quail Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quail Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Bacon Wrapped Quail
Serving Size: 1 (263 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 407.7
- Calories from Fat 268
- Total Fat 29.8 g
- Saturated Fat 10.8 g
- Cholesterol 113.5 mg
- Sodium 1169.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 27.4 g