Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are truly the best hot dogs ever and this is the only way I eat my hot dogs. I used to eat these all the time when I would go to Mexico and visit family. They would have little stands in the corner and make them this way. They are great!
- Chop up tomatoes, onions, and jalapeños (as if making salsa).
- Put to the side (mix them up if you wish or leave separated).
- Wrap bacon around each hot dog and put on the skillet and cook until bacon is done (cook the bacon to your satisfaction) *the bacon usually sticks to the hot dog if not you could use toothpicks to keep together.
- At the same time warm up the beans.
- Spread mayonnaise on the hot dog buns.
- Put the bacon wrapped hot dog on the bun, at this point you may put the ketchup and mustard as desired.
- Pour about 1 spoonful of beans over the hot dog.
- Put the tomato, onion, and jalapeños over the beans and hot dog.
- If desired you could sauté some sliced onion and put on the top instead of the raw onion.
Now THIS is a hot dog! We made these for dinner last night, and boy did the flavor of these Mexican dogs exceed my expectations!!! However, instead of wrapping the bacon around the hot dog and cooking it in a skillet, we grilled the hot dogs and cooked the bacon in the oven. We spread each side of the bun with mayo and then simply tucked a slice of bacon between the bun and the dog. We topped it with diced tomatoes, diced onions, fresh CILANTRO, and a spoonful of freshly made pinto beans purchased from a nearby Mexican restaurant. (We did not use ketchup, mustard, or jalapenos.) Delicioso!
We make these a lot at our family BBQ's. Growing up my mom would serve them in Tortillas instead of bread.
So amazing! Bacon makes anything amazing and it's definitely true of these! What could be better than an already tasty hot dog wrapped in bacon?! I had to cook my own pinto beans as I couldn't find a can here (in the UK), but that was no big problem, they added great texture and a contrast to the meat. The addition of mayo in the rolls was genius too!