Recipe by Davina Cook Master
This is the most moist yummy meatloaf you will ever have.
Top Review by twissis
Made for Spring PAC 2013 & I echo some agreement w/other reviewers. DH & I both liked this meatloaf & I added chili sauce as well, but in a diff way. After assembly, I liberally brushed the bacon surface w/chili sauce. Saltine crackers are not available in Iceland, so I used crushed Ritz crackers. Otherwise made as written, the meatloaf was well-flavored & visually impressive. Mine was not quite as impressive as your pic, but this recipe will be repeated & I will get better at the lattice work bacon cover of the meatloaf. I tried something like it before, but your directions were very clear & easily followed. Thx for sharing this recipe w/us.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 37 saltine crackers, crushed
- 1 lb bacon
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl mix ground beef, eggs, diced onions, ketchup, garlic powder, and onion powder. Mixing with your hands is best. Mix it real well.
- Crush the crackers. I always crush the crackers while still in their sleeve.
- Pour crushed crackers into beef. Mix the crackers into the beef mixture well.
- Form into a loaf shape and set to the side.
- Take the bacon and divide it into even amount.
- Take 1 half of the bacon and lay side by side long ways.
- Fold every other bacon strip in half.
- Lay 1 of the other half of the reserved bacon strips across.
- Unfold the half folded bacon strip.
- Fold the other every other bacon strips that were not folded in the previous step.
- Lay a slice of bacon across and then unfold.
- Repeat until you run out of room.
- Start on the other half of the bacon strip until you have made a weave.
- Pace the loaf shaped beef mixture into the center on your bacon weave.
- Wap the weave around the beef loaf shaped mixture.
- Flip the bacon wrapped meat loaf upside down,making the ends of the bacon tuck under the loaf.
- Place the loaf in the center of the oven on a cookie sheet.
- It takes about an hour to cook.
- To make sure it is cooked all the way through, I sometimes use a meat thermometer but that isn't really needed. Sometimes I leave it in for 15 more minutes if I am worried it isn't cooked all the way.