Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
A delicious indulgence for meat lovers.
- 680.38 g ground beef
- 368.54 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 295.73 ml herb stuffing mix (homemade works too)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot (finely diced or shredded)
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 29.58 ml chopped fresh basil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 14.79 ml Worcestershire sauce
- salt and black pepper, to your taste
- 4-5 slice bacon (high-quality black pepper crusted is my favorite)
- Mix together the beef, tomatoes, stuffing onion, carrot, garlic, basil, egg, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Knead with hands until well mixed.
- Place bacon strips horizontally in a loaf pan.
- The ends of the bacon should hang over the sides.
- Put the meat mixture in the pan, shaping it like a loaf, then fold over the ends of the bacon.
- Turn the loaf pan upside down over a roasting pan.
- The meat loaf should slide out easily, with bacon strips intact.
- Bake at 375°F for 1 hour.
- Baste with the bacon drippings from time to time.
- Increase heat to 450°F and bake an additional 15 minutes, until loaf is firm.