Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I got the idea for this recipe from the book '365, Dish a day' but adapted it. I have always loved duck and I think it goes great with the veg and bacon.
- 1⁄2 whole duck
- 8 slices middle smoked bacon
- 3 sprigs fresh parsley (optional)
- 350 g young spring vegetables (carrots, courgettes, sugar snap peas, baby sweetcorn)
- 2 bulbs of garlic, cut in half (optional)
- 5 shallots, peeled
- 8 new baby potatoes
- 100 ml boiling chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 75 ml dry white wine
- 50 g fromage frais
- wrap the duck with the bacon and place on a baking tray, cover with foil. Then put in the oven for 1 hour 30 minutes at 180.C.
- While that is cooking, spread the vegetables, garlic and shallots out in a shallow oven proof dish and set aside.
- Make the sauce - Blend the cornflour with the wine and whisk with the fromage frais in a saucepan. add any juices from the duck and vegetables into the sauce and whisk until boiling.
- When the duck has 25 minutes left to cook, pour the stock over the veg and place in the oven with the duck. Remove foil from over the duck.
- Start cooking your new potatoes as instructed on the packet (simmer for aprox. 20 mins).
- After the 1 hour 30 minutes is up, test if your duck is ready by skewering the bird and looking at the juices that run out, if they are clear, it is ready.
- When cooked, lift the duck onto the roasted veg, place the potatoes next to the duck and garnish with parsley. Pour the sauce over the duck.