Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 mins
Another great Saveur recipe.The already sweet dates caramelize in the oven,inbued with the smoky goodness of the bacon..then you bite into it-it's soft,and gooey,giving way to a even gooier ,creamy center and then you get a surprising little crunch from the salty almond.MMMMM.... These went over well at my B-day even among those that claimed to dislike goat cheese.(suggestions were made about subbing cream cheese,but I didn't hear any complaints;)The goat cheese really isn't overpowering;it's tangy creaminess is what harmonizes the sweet and savory flavors.I just wish I could eat these more often !
- 24 large medjool dates, fresh not dried
- 12 slices bacon, raw
- 2 ounces soft fresh goat cheese
- 24 marcona almonds (or any large almonds,toasted and salted)
- Preheat oven to 500°F.
- Meanwhile,pit the dates carefully.You may cut a small slit in each date(easier than pitting from the stem end),being careful to keep the dates intact.Place a small amount of goat cheese into each date.You may use a small spoon or pastry bag,Place one almond into each date.Cut each slice of bacon in half crosswise.wrap one piece of bacon around each date,securing with a toothpick.
- Place dates about 1/2 inch apart on a baking sheet,seam sides down.Bake 6-8 minutes.The bacon should be crispy and the juices from the dates bubbling.Be careful not to burn the dates!
- Remove from oven and let cool.(Very important!these are great warm but if you pop one in your mouth strait out of the oven the goat cheese will burn your mouth like hot lava.Seriously,let these cool a little.).