Recipe by DDW
This dish a winner! Simple, easy to make and it has great presentation. I've made this 3 times so far and it's never failed. The hens cook perfectly and the taste is wonderful. #69724 makes a perfect side dish for this entree. The recipe comes from the Aug '03 issue of Gourmet. This is a great meal for entertaining! I served it for 10 this weekend and everyone loved it.
Top Review by SilverOpera
Absolutely delicious! I only did two hens but made the full amount of glaze, and it needed it. I added some red pepper flakes to the glaze as well, but otherwise, did this as directed. It made for a beautiful meal with some roasted potatoes and asparagus. Thank you, this was lovely!
- 2⁄3 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 16 slices bacon
- 4 rock cornish game hens
Directions See How It's Made
- Briskly simmer jam and vinegar in small saucepan, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until glaze is reduced to about 1/2 cup.
- About 8 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature (glaze will thicken slightly as it cools).
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Cook bacon in batches, over med.
- heat until some of the fat is rendered but bacon is still translucent and pliable, 5-7 minutes.
- Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Cut and discard back bones from each hen with kitchen shears and then halve each hen length wise.
- Pat dry and season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange cut sides down, in a large roasting pan.
- Wrap 2 slices around each half hen, tucking ends under.
- Brush liberally with glaze, reserving the remainder.
- Roast in the middle of the oven, brushing with pan juices and reserved glaze twice (every 10 minutes), until juices run clear when a thigh is pierced, 30-35 minutes.