Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
In an an attempt to make something I saw on Anthony Bourdain's show. I went totally off track and ended up with this incredible dish. The chicken is juicy and tender, the filling is full of flavor adds a great texture to the dish. The pepper bacon adds a great level of flavor. This dish may take a little bit of time and work, but it will be worth it anf your family will sing your praises.
- 4 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)
- 6 ounces cremini mushrooms (thinly sliced)
- 16 -20 slices pepper bacon
- 1 egg
- 1 cup seasoned croutons
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- Pre-Heat oven to 350ºF.
- Dice 4 strips of bacon into small pieces and brown over medium heat in a large sauté pan.
- Once bacon pieces are browned and crisp, strain and reserve grease and add bacon bits to the work bowl of a food processor.
- Add about 1 tablespoon of bacon grease back to the sauté pan and sauté 1/3 of the mushrooms with a pinch of salt until they are browned and reduced in size by about half.
- Add the mushrooms to the food processor and repeat cooking the next third of the mushrooms same as before. Repeat until all the mushrooms are cooked and in the food processor.
- Add the croutons, egg, grated cheese, and the 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper to the food processor. Process until the mixture forms a smooth paste.
- Butterfly the chicken breast and lay them open on the cutting board.
- Add 1/4 of the mushroom mixture to each chicken breast.
- Roll the chicken breat around the filling and then wrap each roll with bacon.
- Secure the bacon strips with toothpicks or tuck the ends under other wraps to hold in place. You want the end product to be a tight, firm roll that will be easy to pick up with tongs.
- Brown the rolls, two at a time in the large sauté pan until the are evenly browned on all sides.
- Put the chicken roulades on a parchment lined sheet pan and bake in the oven until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 170°F Should take about 15 minutes.