Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is another great way to make something great ahead of time to thaw as needed or eat right now with little effort!
- 12 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 (8 ounce) cartons chive & onion cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 12 slices bacon
- Flatten chicken to 1/2" thickness.
- Spread 3 tablespoons cream cheese over each chicken piece.
- Dot with butter and sprinkle with salt; roll up.
- Wrap each with a bacon strip.
- Place, seam side down, in a greased pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400F for 35-40 minutes or until juices run clear.
- Broil 6 inches from the heat for 5 minutes or until bacon is crisp.
- If you are making these ahead for future use, freeze these uncooked on a cookie sheet in your freezer. When solid, wrap and put in a ziplock bag or vacuum seal desired quantities.
- To cook from frozen state, thaw before cooking and follow directions above.
When I do my bacon wrapped chicken, I put it over a sauce made from one small jar dried chipped beef, finely diced, 2 cans cream of mushroom soup, one 16 ounce container of sour cream, salt and pepper. Put the sauce into the bottom of a sprayed 9X13 dish and lay the bacon wrapped chicken on top. I cook it in a 300 degree oven for about 2 hours ( or until internal chicken temp. reaches 170) The sauce cooks into the meat making it succulent and sooo flavorful. Served over rice, this dish is a family FAVORITE.
I made this last night and by order of my husband, we now have a new "weekly" meal to add to our menu. :) These little bundles of chicken and bacon heaven are a perfect "wrap" for the cream cheese. Next time I'm going to try turkey bacon and plain cream cheese infused with minced garlic, onion and cilantro. Thanks Tish! :) ******3/15/10****** Update: I made these a couple of weeks ago and forgot to post. I used the turkey bacon, and plain cream cheese, (in the tub) that I softened and then added 2 cloves garlic, grated fine, onion powder, (only because my onion went bad. :( ) and about 1-2 TBS fresh cilantro, chopped. I mixed it about 6-8 hours in advance of making them and it was awesome! The turkey bacon did much better than I had expected. Of course it's not real bacon, but it came out nice and well done esp after a blast on broil for about 2 minutes plus/minus. The cream cheese had the garlic, onion cilantro flavors we love, but the amounts I gave is to our taste. You may like more or less, so adjust. I want to do it again with fresh onion, and a smidge of cumin w/a dash of cayenne just to see what happens. Hubby and I love the southwest/Mexican flavors so we lean to those spices in alot of recipes. Will let you know! :-)
This is the BEST chicken recipe I've ever had!!!
For some reason I don't do well with chicken recipes, but I had to try this one. I'm so glad I did! Based on all the reviews that people have left on here, I did change a few things. I only made five pieces of chicken instead of twelve.
I salted the chicken before putting the cream cheese on it. I only bought 1 container of onion and chive cream cheese, which was plenty. I also bought a package of thick sliced bacon and wrapped each chicken in 3 strips of it. (YUM!)
I cooked these for half the time on 400 degrees and the other half at 300 degrees. I also turned the chicken over during the broil to get both sides crispy. It was amazing! Even my picky eaters loved this, and the cream cheese that's called for is so, so good! I can't understand why anyone would want to substitute it! It's SO GOOD! :D