Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is my version of Chicken Cordon Bleu. Just a bit different. I love the original recipe, but didn't like it with a bread coating every time. So for me, the gruyere adds just a notch up, the hickory bacon and then a simple mustard white wine sauce makes a very elegant dinner. Serve with some very simple wild rice or rice pilaf and green beans. Nothing fancy needed for this. VERY Classic eats.
- 4 chicken breasts, pounded thin
- 4 slices prosciutto ham (or you can use any good baked ham)
- 3⁄4 cup gruyere cheese, shredded (or you can use 4 slices of swiss)
- 8 slices of hickory bacon (don't use thick sliced, just regular)
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion (I prefer shallots, but a regular onion will work fine)
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup white wine (if you don't want to use wine, just use all chicken stock or broth)
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream (or you can use evaporated milk or even light cream and even milk, I just like the consistency of hea)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard (I love to mix dijon and ground mustard but if you only have dijon, that if just fine, If you like mo)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Chicken -- Now you can buy your chicken breasts scallopini and pounded for you, and pay a pretty price. Or you can just buy a "regular" chicken breast and put them between some saran wrap and pound away. I use a meat mallet, but use a rolling pin or a can of vegetables, brick, back of a frying pan or pot. Anything will work. Just pound thin.
- Stuff the chicken -- season well with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Then then lay a slice of the ham down and then some shredded gruyere or slices or swiss cheese. Either works just fine and then roll up. Wrap 2 slices of bacon around the chicken roll and secure with a tooth pick.
- In a oven proof saute pan melt the butter and olive oil and bring to a medium hight heat. Then add the chicken and saute on each side until lightly brown, and the bacon begins to get crisp. Then transfer the chicken to the oven to finish cooking at 400 for about 10-12 minutes is all. Just makes sure the bacon is crisp and done. It doesn't take long. Remove and transfer to a plate and cover. It will continue to cook.
- Sauce -- get everything ready. This is a quick sauce. Once the chicken comes out just transfer the pan back to the stove top. On medium heat, add the onion to the pan and cook just a minute. Add the wine, broth and let reduce just a minute or so. Reduce the heat and remove when you add the cream, mustard and seasoning and herbs. Return to the heat and just stir and let reduce just a bit on medium low and heat to combine all the ingredients and naturally thicken. It takes 3-4 minutes if that.
- Dinner is served -- chicken is done and sauce is perfect. Serve the chicken roll with the creamy mustard sauce. As I said, I love some wild rice or rice pilaf with the sauce and some green beans on the side, but use anything you enjoy.
Awesome!! This dish is so unique. We used black forest ham and swiss and it was outstanding!! Next time we make it, we are going to add a touch of honey to the sauce to add a bit of sweetness. This will make it 5 stars!