Recipe by evelyn/athens
These are truly awesome and a cinch to make. Having enough on hand may be a problem cause people eat a lot of them.
Top Review by * Pamela *
Great appetizer! Serve these at a cookie exchange evening and I only had 6 left for my husband to sample when he got home. (He said they were even good reheated!!) I used chili powder instead of chili seasoning and the flavour combination was great. I think next time I will buy thin sliced bacon as some of my pieces were quite thick and did not wrap easily around the breadsticks. Will make again-thanks!
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar (spread out on a tray and allowed to dry for 1-2 hours before using)
- 1 tablespoon chili seasoning mix
- 2 lbs bacon (very thinly sliced)
- 40 -50 breadsticks (grissini)
Directions See How It's Made
- After the brown sugar has air-dried a bit, add the chili seasoning and mix with fingers to blend well.
- Take a bacon rasher and dip it into the sugar, pressing sugar in lightly on both sides.
- Wrap, barber-pole style around a breadstick and place on a greased (I use olive oil) baking pan or cookie sheet.
- Repeat with as many bacon rashers as you have left.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Roast until bacon is cooked and you can see sugar has caramelized- make sure it's cooked and not burnt- about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and CAREFULLY pick up breadstick and place on a large platter to harden (the breadsticks will be soft at this point but will harden as they cool).
- This must be done immediately, otherwise the caramelized sugar will set and it will be impossible to get your breadsticks out of the pan.