Recipe by mrs.kichton
This is a HUGE party favorite. Whenever I ask what I can bring to a party, this is ALWAYS at the top of the list. WARNING: These go fast...make double what you think you'll need. I usually make 2-3 per person attending. Time consuming to wrap the bread sticks, BUT SO WORTH IT! I had these at a friends once without the spices added to the cheese, they were great, but I played with the spices and these are the bomb!
- 1 lb bacon
- 1 (16 count) packagestella doro breadsticks
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 8 ounces parmesan-romano cheese mix
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat Oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine Cheese and all spices, return to shaker jar. Shake jar well before each use.
- I use a broiler pan with a rack and line the bottom of the pan with aluminum foil, you can use a cookie sheet also if you don't have a pan with a rack, it just might take longer to get the bacon crispy.
- Take a slice of bacon and gently squeeze up and down to stretch without breaking or separating it. Start wrapping at the top end of a bread stick and wrap completely to the bottom end. Be careful, the bread sticks are crispy and will break if you are not gentle. Lay wrapped bread stick so it is perpendicular on the rack (if you place it parallel, it will fall through when cooking). Continue until you have filled the rack, leaving about 1/4 inch gap between each bread stick. Sprinkle each bread stick generously with Cheese mixture. Bake at 375 for 20-30 minutes or until bacon is cooked. When bacon is done, remove from oven and sprinkle with additional cheese mixture. Let stand 5 minutes to cool and let the cheese set. Using tongs, transfer to serving platter. When completely cooled, cover with aluminum foil. (If you cover when warm, steam will build up and make them mushy.).
- You can serve these cold, but if you'd like you can also heat them up in a 375 degree oven for about 5-10 minutes. Remove the foil if reheating.
- 1. I buy store brand regular sliced bacon (the cheaper the better). for a party, I go to SAMS Club and buy the cheap bacon in bulk.
- 2. Check your bread sticks carefully when you purchase them -- often some are broken and you'll need as many whole sticks as you can get. If any are broken you'll need to buy additional packages to have enough to use a pound of bacon, which is 16 slices. I love the Garlic Flavored ones, but this is also great with the Rosemary Flavored, Sesame Seed and Plain ones.
- 3. Cut Garlic Powder in half if using the Garlic Flavored Bread sticks. Cut Rosemary in half if using the Rosemary Flavored Sticks.
- 4. Omit the Cayenne if you don't want that little bite.
- 5. If you are only making 16 sticks, you'll have plenty of the cheese mix leftover and it is great on pasta!
- 6. I love prosciutto and thought these would be wonderful made with it -- however it won't work because there is not enough fat to keep the prosciutto stuck to the bread stick. It shrinks when baked and splits and makes a big messy looking thing. If you want to use prosciutto, I'd suggest dipping the bread sticks in an egg wash before wrapping. Also, prosciutto is much more expensive than bacon.